By Andrew Ciupek, PhD and Tara Perloff, Clinical Trial and Treatment Navigators
Today, there are more options for lung cancer treatment than ever before. Some are already approved and available. Others are only available through clinical trials. With so many clinical trials out there, the process of finding one can seem daunting.
Not to worry! We have you covered. Here are four steps to finding the right clinical trial for you.
1) GATHER INFORMATION: Each clinical trial is looking for a very specific patient and has a number of criteria that you must meet to qualify. Having as much information as possible will make it easier to decide if a trial is right for you. Here are some questions to ask yourself before you start a trial search:
- What type and stage lung cancer do I have?
- Has the cancer spread anywhere else in the body (metastasized) and where?
- What are the names of all the chemotherapies and other drugs that I have received as part of my treatment?
- Did I receive molecular (also called biomarker) testing and what were my results? (Many trials require certain tests to decide if you qualify – to get help with testing call our HelpLine at 1-800-298-2463)
2) FIND A TRIAL NEAR YOU: One of the most common ways to search for a clinical trial is online. Our LungMATCH program features an easy-to-use, personalized clinical trial search tool, helping you sort through local trials based on your individual information.
3) CONNECT WITH YOUR TREATMENT TEAM: Your treatment team knows the most about your individual lung cancer, as well as your overall medical history. They can help you determine if you are a good candidate for a specific trial, offer personalized recommendations and might know of trials in the area that are not online.
4) ASK FOR HELP: If you need help with your search, more information on a specific trial or just don’t know where to start – call our HelpLine at 1-800-298-2436. We have clinical trial specialists standing by the phones to answer your questions.
Find a clinical trial that is right for you at www.LungMATCH.org.
For questions about your lung cancer, clinical trials or other treatments, please call our HelpLine at 1-800-298-2436.