Lung Cancer Alliance is the leading and highest rated nonprofit organization dedicated to fighting lung cancer in the nation. Since 1995, we have played a critical role in every major advance – changing how we support, talk about, detect and treat the disease – and turning those impacted into survivors. Our mission is saving lives and advancing research by empowering those living with and at risk for lung cancer.
Using a science-based, strategic approach, our vision is to triple the number of survivors over the next decade. Reaching this goal requires a collaborative approach that includes:
- Research: Increasing earlier understandings of lung cancer through innovative research and survivor input leading to cures.
- Access to Quality Care: Navigating those at risk, patients and loved ones along the path of early detection, diagnosis, treatment and management to increase survival.
- Framing the Conversation: Changing perspectives and amplifying the voice of the community in order to get people to care about lung cancer.
It really comes down to the people behind our organization -- our dedicated volunteer advocates, Board of Directors, partners and staff -- and how we execute an effective strategy based on our two decades of work leading the lung cancer movement. Although much more needs to be done, we are confident of meeting the challenges ahead because:
- We put the needs of those at risk, patients, survivors, caregivers and loved ones first –and wake up every day thinking what we can do better and more of to help them today.
- We are science-based, providing the most up to date, relevant information on every aspect of lung cancer -- presented in easy to understand language for a wide audience – that will change outcomes and save lives.
- We work with an “army of the willing” – individuals, communities, businesses, foundations, institutions and other nonprofits – who also share our vision.
- We are tireless advocates with a network of volunteer advocates that are the driving force behind our national movement.
- We are rated among the fewer than 1% most effective national cancer organizations in the nation, and the most highly rated lung cancer nonprofit with a demonstrated track record of success and governance excellence.
Combined with our track record of success, we are uniquely qualified to achieve our vision:
- Dedicated 20+ years of service as the most trusted resource for the lung cancer community providing robust support, navigation, education and referral services.
- Secured historic legislation making lung cancer a national public health priority and established the first-ever federal research funding pipeline for the disease with $102 million to date – the largest lung cancer research program outside of the National Cancer Institute.
- Led 10-year effort to successfully secure lung cancer screening as a fully covered preventive service for the millions at high risk for the disease.
- Established the National Framework for Excellence in Lung Cancer Screening and Continuum of Care as the award-winning blueprint for the implementation of responsible screening and care nationwide.
- Established growing network of 400 Screening Centers of Excellence in communities nationwide providing responsible screening for those who need it most.
- Developed a new comprehensive research platform focused on accelerating biomarker research, increasing research capital, enhancing early detection and care, and improving psychosocial support.
- Ignited first-ever, national positive dialogue about our disease through award winning education campaigns (www.noonedeservestodie.org).
Our work is made possible primarily by donations from individuals who receive help from us and in turn desire to give back. In addition, we work with and receive grants from foundations and corporations that believe in our mission.